President Donald J. Trump Tuesday evening endorsed Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) in his U.S. Senate reelection bid despite the fact that Tillis a strong opponent of Trump’s border security agenda.
“Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina has really stepped up to the plate. Thom is tough on Crime, Strong on the Border and fights hard against Illegal Immigration. He loves our Military, our Vets and our great Second Amendment. I give Thom my Full and Total Endorsement!” Trump said on Twitter.
Senator Thom Tillis of North Carolina has really stepped up to the plate. Thom is tough on Crime, Strong on the Border and fights hard against Illegal Immigration. He loves our Military, our Vets and our great Second Amendment. I give Thom my Full and Total Endorsement!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 25, 2019
Unfortunately, Tillis has a record of opposing Trump’s stated goal of securing the border with a big, beautiful wall – and nearly everything else about the President. Here are five examples:
- Big League Politics caught up with Tillis on Capitol Hill in January, where he assured us that “there’s no such thing as a border wall,” when asked about border security. He was also critical of the wall on an appearance on “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”
- Tillis capitulated to the political left about U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s policy of family separation, saying “We should not be separating children migrants from their families.” Of course, he was silent about the Obama administration using the same tactics.
- Tillis broke with Trump on a February amendment to a bill that would have withdrawn U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Syria. Trump endorsed the amendment – again looking to make good on his promise of stopping the endless military conflict in the Middle East – but Tillis voted against it.
- Tillis opposed Trump last year when the President was considering leaving the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), saying, “If they were seriously planning on withdrawing from NATO, I think it would create a unifying event unlike anything you’ve seen in U.S. history.” Tillis was referring to members of Congress on both sides of the aisle uniting to oppose a NATO withdrawal.
- Tillis openly supported former Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into nonexistent Russian “collusion,” even sponsoring a bill to protect Mueller from being fired, which drew criticism from the rest of the GOP.
It is unclear why Trump would support someone who has worked so vehemently against him in the past. However, the timing of the endorsement suggests Trump might have been looking to get it out of the way.
The surprise endorsement comes quite early in the 2020 cycle. Tillis only has two declared opponents – a relatively unknown farm owner named Sandy Smith, and former CEO of Triangle Capital Garland Tucker. Rumors have swirled that Rep. Ted Budd (R-N.C.) might also challenge Tillis.
Follow Peter D’Abrosca on Twitter: @pdabrosca
Like Peter D’Abrosca on Facebook: facebook.com/peterdabrosca
Preorder Peter D’Abrosca’s Book: “Enemies: The Press vs. The American People”
Bypass Tech Censorship!
Facebook, Twitter and Google are actively restricting conservative content through biased algorithms. Silicon Valley doesn't want you to read our articles. Bypass the censorship, sign up for our newsletter now!
Matt Gaetz SLAMS North Carolina’s Richard Burr After Insider Trading Scandal
Matt Gaetz is taking aim at Richard Burr.
Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz brutally slammed North Carolina Senator Richard Burr in a Monday tweet, taking Burr to task for his involvement in an insider trading scandal that has merited him rebuke from commentators and political figures from across partisan and ideological lines.
Gaetz likened Senator Burr to a historical figure sharing his namesake, Aaron Burr. Gaetz compared Burr’s infamous shooting of Alexander Hamilton in a New Jersey duel to a metaphorical shooting of the Republican Party’s credibility on behalf of the modern-day Burr.
Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton. @SenatorBurr shot the moral credibility of the Republican Party.
— Matt Gaetz (@mattgaetz) March 30, 2020
Gaetz had earlier taken aim at Burr for his involvement in the insider trading scandal, expressing his opinion that the Senate Intelligence Committee Chair had used his position for gainful financial information.
Senator Burr had sold a significant amount of stock shares in the weeks preceding the global Chinese coronavirus epidemic, and it’s alleged he had been briefed on the dangerous nature of the epidemic before the public was fully aware of its highly contagious nature. He’s currently being investigated by the Senate Ethics Committee for his stock exchange sales in the weeks preceding the virus’ spread in America.
Burr began selling off stocks on February 13th, ultimately going on to liquidate $1.3 million of company shares.
Burr isn’t the only Senator who is suspected of potential insider trading in the weeks before the virus largely tanked the stock market. Georgia’s Kelly Loefler, California’s Dianne Feinstein, Oklahoma’s James Inhofe, and Georgia’s David Purdue all sold stocks in January and February, avoiding personal financial losses as a result of the virus’ impact on the economy.
Sources close to President Trump suggest that he would prefer for Burr to resign in light of the situation. Tucker Carlson called for Burr’s resignation in a scathing segment earlier this month.
Trending on BLP
Big League Wellness3 days ago
POLL: 95% of Americans Support Coronavirus Travel Bans, Trump Approval Highest in Three Years
Tech2 days ago
National Center For Sexual Exploitation: Snapchat and Teen Vogue are Telling Kids to Make Child Porn!
News3 days ago
America First Patriot Kris Kobach Believes Democrats are Using the Wuhan Virus Crisis to Push Socialism
News4 days ago
Georgia State Rep. Wants to Suspend Enforcement of Concealed Carry Laws During Chinese Virus Crisis
Campaign 20204 days ago
Joe Rogan Takes Joe Biden To Task: “Trump Will Eat Him Alive”
Big League Wellness3 days ago
FLASHBACK: NYC Health Commissioner Said Coronavirus Risk Was “Low” Last Month
States3 days ago
California Lets Convicted Murderers of Children and Pregnant Woman Out of Jail Amidst Coronavirus Panic
Big League Wellness2 days ago
Pharma Insider: ‘First Data From Clinical Studies’ Indicates ‘Hydroxychloroquine Kills the Coronavirus’