A freelance reporter from San Francisco said he was detained by law enforcement for six hours after his home was raided and he refused to hand over the name of the source for a recently-published story.
“Bryan Carmody, a freelance reporter in San Francisco, awoke Friday to the sounds of someone trying to break into his house,” according to a Washington Post report.
He allowed 10 San Francisco Police Department officers into his home, who searched through all of his property. Two Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officials were also present. The gaggle of law enforcement officers, whom Carmody said treated him “like I was some kind of drug dealer” demanded that he turn over a source from a recently-published story which included a confidential report about the death of a local public defender.
He declined to offer up his source, as he had done two weeks earlier when police dropped by to question him. The reporter said he was handcuffed and taken into police custody for six hours – a fact verified by a certificate of release from the police department.
“I’m smart enough not to talk to federal agents, ever,’ Carmody told The Post. “I just kept saying ‘lawyer, lawyer, lawyer.'”
A First Amendment attorney who spoke with The Post said the proper course of action would have been to subpoena the reporter, not raid his house and detain him.
“Carmody says his ability to work is now crippled by the seizure of his electronics,” according to the report. “A search warrant and affidavit he distributed noted that police took at least at least four tablets, seven computers, 10 hard drives, a dozen phones, two cameras, reporters’ notebooks and a thumb drive from his home.”
Carmody’s detention comes on the heels of the arrest of Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, who made a career of exposing state secrets. He was thrown out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, where he had a safe haven for nearly seven years. He was sentenced to 50 weeks in prison for absconding bail in the U.K.
This week, Sweden reopened a rape investigation into Assange after it was suspended in 2017.
Follow Peter D’Abrosca on Twitter: @pdabrosca
Like Peter D’Abrosca on Facebook: facebook.com/peterdabrosca
Preorder Peter D’Abrosca’s Book: “Enemies: The Press vs. The American People”
Dana White Vows No Censorship in UFC After Media Campaign Against Pro-Trump Fighter Colby Covington
White is standing for free speech.
UFC promoter Dana White is standing strong for free speech, vowing never to “muzzle anybody” after pro-Trump fighter Colby Covington was targeted by a media campaign for making controversial statements following a huge victory last week.
“These guys all have their own causes, things, their own beliefs. We don’t muzzle anybody here,” White said. “We let everybody speak their mind.”
Covington made some candid comments following his defeat of Tyron Woodley at UFC on ESPN+ 36 in which he dominated the former champion who had professed his support for Black Lives Matter. He took the opportunity to gloat following his big victory.
“He’s standing up for lifelong criminals,” Covington said regarding his opponent Woodley. “The Black Lives Matter is a complete sham. It’s a joke. They’re taking these people that are complete terrorists. They’re taking these people that that are criminals.”
“He’s a communist,” he added. “He’s a Marxist. He stands for criminals. He hates America, and that’s why he got broke tonight.”
Covington also garnered controversy for making remarks about Nigerian-born UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman. Covington referenced his “little tribe” and “smoke signals” while calling Usman out. The fake news media brought up the issue to UFC fighters, who expressed their dismay, in order to push their latest phony race controversy.
“Let’s be real, first and foremost,” bantamweight Sijara Eubanks said. “It wasn’t ‘unfortunate.’ It was flat-out racist. It was racist. It was disgusting. It was quite frankly disappointing.”
“This guy has directly insulted my culture, my brother and many other cultures, and no one says anything,” Middleweight champion Israel Adesanya said. “But it just shows you a mirror. Shows you a mirror to you guys.”
“Reebok is the uniform provider for the UFC, however we do not sponsor Colby Covington. We do not agree with the sentiments he expressed, and stand firm in our belief that Black lives matter. We stand with athletes and communities who are fighting for change,” the corporation that sells shoes made by third-world workers wrote in an official statement.
Not only is White refusing to take disciplinary action against Covington, he is also claiming that Covington’s comments are not even racist and no big deal.
“I don’t know what he said that was racist. I don’t know if I heard anything racist that he said,” White added.
Big League Politics has reported on how White has stood up for pro-freedom causes in the past, such as when he fought tooth and nail against senseless COVID-19 lockdown restrictions preventing him from doing events:
UFC promoter Dana White has refused to succumb to coronavirus hysteria and remains steadfast in his resolve to hold fights even while panic grips the world.
White announced on Monday that his next pay-per-view event will take place on Saturday, April 18 with a new main event in a currently undisclosed location.
White has even said that he intends to hold UFC fights on a weekly basis at a private island, refusing to slowdown even as the global economy shutters due to coronavirus mania. He opened up during an interview with TMZ Sports on Monday.
He told TMZ that the next UFC event will take place in the United States, and he intends to use that venue to host fights for two months. However, White claims he is only “a day or two away” from sealing a deal that would allow him to hold fights in a private island venue, and this would potentially give him a reprieve from all the coronavirus-related hassles that he has dealt with over the past month trying to book fights.
“I have a private island that I’ve secured. We’re getting the infrastructure put in now so I’m going to start doing the international fights too with international fighters,” White explained. “Because I won’t be able to get international fighters – all of them into the U.S. – so I have a private island. I am going to start flying them into the private island and doing international fights from there.”
“So as of April 18, the UFC is back up and running,” White declared.
White has claimed that the fake news media is doing everything in their power to sabotage his efforts, as they want the public to suffer during the worldwide coronavirus lockdown as much as possible.
“A lot of these media guys are absolute and total f**king scumbags,” he said. “As soon as you let them know what you’re doing, all they’re trying to do is f**k up everything that you’ve worked. So I’ve literally told every one of these guys to go f**k themselves and I’m not telling any of them what I’m doing, where I’m doing it.”
White might be wise to consider a career in politics after he retires as UFC promoter.
Campaign 20203 days ago
FLASHBACK: Congressional Candidate Laura Loomer Uncovered Minneapolis Ballot Harvesting Scheme in 2018
Big League Wellness3 days ago
Whistleblower: World Health Organization Repeatedly Ignored Its Own Protocol Throughout COVID-19 Pandemic
ANTIFA3 days ago
Trump Administration Cloned Cell Phones in Portland to Gather Intelligence about ANTIFA’s Terror Operation
Border Security3 days ago
Over 200 Illegal Aliens Arrested in Bust of Human Smuggling Operation in Laredo, Texas
The Swamp3 days ago
FRAUD: Project Veritas Exposes Industrial Scale Minnesota Ballot Harvesting Scheme
Fake News Media1 day ago
Moderator Chris Wallace Interrupted Donald Trump 76 Times, Biden 15 Times
Campaign 20202 days ago
TELEMUNDO POLL: 66 Percent of Spanish-Speaking Viewers Believe Trump Defeated Biden in Presidential Debate
Politics2 days ago
BOMBSHELL: Obama Knew Russia-Gate was Clinton Campaign Op; His White House Launched Witch Hunt Anyway