Media Runs Navy Serviceman Out of Military for ‘Inappropriate’ Comments
After the media harangued a career Navy serviceman for comments he made during a visit by Vice President Mike Pence, the serviceman has decided to retire.
“Command Master Chief Jonas Carter, of the carrier Harry S. Truman out of Norfolk, Virginia, stepped down from his position as the ship’s senior enlisted leader and will retire, the Truman’s commanding officer, Capt. Nick Dienna,” according to Military.com.
Pence was visiting the Truman on April 30, when Carter instructed sailors assembled to greet the Vice President to “clap like we’re at a strip club” when upon his arrival. Several members media outlets who were in attendance, including CNN, reported on Carter’s comments.
Spokeswoman Lt. Cmdr. Laura Stegherr called the comments “inappropriate.”
Now, the 30-year member of the service has been cowed into retirement.
“I want one last chance to tell the extraordinary men and women of TRUMAN how blessed and thankful I am to have served as your Command Master Chief,” Carter reportedly said. “When you find yourself making a mistake, own it, accept responsibility and learn from it. Today, I want each of you to know that I have taken full responsibility of my mistake last week and, together with my family, I have decided to retire.”
Marine and Iraq War veteran Jesse Kelly was not pleased with Carter’s treatment at the hands of the press.
“It’s critically important that we run all the rough, vulgar men out of our military and replace them with women and men who never curse or drink or fight. After all, wars are fought and won by polite people,” he said on Twitter.
Follow Peter D’Abrosca on Twitter: @pdabrosca
Like Peter D’Abrosca on Facebook: facebook.com/peterdabrosca
Preorder Peter D’Abrosca’s Book: “Enemies: The Press vs. The American People”