Parler Teases Return in New Message Posted on Homepage
Deplatformed social media network Parler has pledged to return soon, according to a new message posted on their homepage.
The message included a mock parley from CEO John Matze that reads: “Hello world, is this thing on?” Below that is an image of an hourglass, the title “Technical Difficulties,” and then the following statement:
“Now seems like the right time to remind you all — both lovers and haters — why we started this platform. We believe privacy is paramount and free speech essential, especially on social media. Our aim has always been to provide a nonpartisan public square where individuals can enjoy and exercise their rights to both.
“We will resolve any challenge before us and plan to welcome all of you back soon. We will not let civil discourse perish!”
The message replaces the 404 Error that had been displayed for almost a week, meaning that Parler has new servers and is actively working to restore full site functionality.
Last week it was reported that Parler sued Amazon Web Services for pulling their hosting. They claim it breaches their contract and violates anti-trust laws. In that lawsuit Matze said that he and his family had to flee their home and go into hiding after receiving an onslaught of death threats.
Although Parler may soon be back online, it might take a while before users can download the Parler app. Apple CEO Tim Cook said Sunday that Parler will need to “get their moderation together” before they allow it to return to the App Store. The app had been previously removed from the Google Play Store as well.