The North Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for desecrating a Confederate grave in Bladen County last week.
The group believes that the vandalism may have been caused by someone attempting to dig up the grave in protest of the Confederate heritage, the News Observer reports.
It was reported last week that the damage was discovered by someone who was cutting the grass at Mount Horeb Presbyterian Church last Monday.
“Someone had dug down into a grave,” Maj. Larry Guyton of the Bladen County Sheriff’s Office told the Observer.
The vandal(s) created a hole between two to three feet in diameter and approximately two feet deep on the grave site. Guyton stated that his officers spotted something that appeared to be a human bone and ordered the hole to be refilled.
“While the miscreant’s motives are not confirmed at this time, if these actions were perpetrated as part of a protest against Confederate heritage and symbols, we as a society have certainly reached a new low,” R. Kevin Stone, commander of the N.C. Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans, said in a press release issued on Thursday, which was obtained by the Charlotte Observer.
The vandalism comes at a time when tensions in the country are high, and Confederate statues are being vandalized, removed, or destroyed on a seemingly weekly basis. In perhaps the most shocking incident to date, a mob of activists who were also in North Carolina pulled down and destroyed the Confederate Soldiers Monument.
WATCH Protesters in Durham, North Carolina, toppled a statue called the Confederate Soldiers Monument. pic.twitter.com/QppuQUfEla
— NBC News (@NBCNews) August 15, 2017
The Bladen County Sheriff’s Office is requesting that anyone with information about the vandalism call them at 910-862-6960.
Big League Politics reached out to Stone for comment, and will update this article if a response is provided.