Bishop Asks for Resignation of Catholic Priest Who Blasted “Godlessness of the Democrats” and Allowed Parishioners to Attend Mass Without Masks
A Catholic bishop has asked for the resignation of Father James Altman, a priest known for his outspoken views on the COVID-19 pandemic and the Democratic Party.
Fr. Altman serves as pastor of St. James the Less Catholic Church in La Crosse, Wisconsin. He announced in his Pentecost Sunday homily that Bishop William Callahan asked him to resign on Friday.
“As the bishop has stated to me: I am ineffective. So for the record, dear family, Bishop Callahan has asked me to resign as pastor as of this past Friday, two days ago, because I am divisive and ineffective,” he said.
Altman added amid the audible shock of some parishioners that he is contesting Bishop Callahan’s request.
“In response, my canon lawyer asked for clarification, asked for the justification and a chance to review what was in my file that suggested I was so divisive and ineffective,” Altman said. “And I say all this only because I’m no expert on canon law. But understand only that while we are contesting Bishop’s request—and we are—he could in theory appoint a parish administrator whilst I remain a pastor without duties until the appeal goes through Rome, which could take up to a year or more.”
A fundraising campaign for Altman’s legal fees has blown its $20,000 goal out of the water, sitting at $115,000 as of Monday afternoon.
“Father Altman has shown courage and strength in his commitment to giving us the Truth,” the fundraiser description reads. “In a culture that celebrates deception and sin, Father Altman has been a shining light to tens of thousands of faithful Catholics worldwide.”
“Sadly, as we are all aware, our holy priests are being attacked from within,” the description adds. “It is our duty and honor as faithful sheep to help our shepherd to defend himself.”
Traditionally minded Catholics and staunch conservatives laud Fr. Altman as a courageous voice and a holy priest, while leftists deride him as a false prophet who spreads hatred and misinformation. Here are some of Altman’s remarks and actions that have undoubtedly gotten him in hot water:
- He has criticized Joe Biden as “anything but a faithful Catholic.”
- Addressing “clueless baptized Catholics,” he has said that one “cannot be a Catholic and be a Democrat, period” and added that Catholics who vote Democrat should “repent of [their] support of that party and its platform, or face the fires of hell.”
- He has called Planned Parenthood “the most racist organization on the face of this planet.”
- He has called the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) as “one of the most godless, communist, anti-American, left-wing radical organizations in the United States.”
- He has blasted Black Lives Matter as Marxists and communists.
- He has called the COVID-19 vaccine “an experimental use of a genetic altering substance that modifies your body—your Temple of the Holy Spirit.”
- In defiance of diocesan protocols, he had ignored capacity and social distancing restrictions and allowed his parishioners to not wear masks. Bishop Callahan maintained COVID protocols throughout his diocese despite the repeal of Wisconsin’s mask mandate in March.
Pray for Fr. Altman!