Bombshell: Archbishop Claims Pope Knew, Ignored Cardinal McCarrick’s Sexual Abuse
The apostate Catholic Church was dealt a serious blow Saturday when an archbishop alleged that Pope Francis ignored reports of sexual abuse by a recently-retired Cardinal Theodore McCarrick.
In an 11 page affidavit, Archbishop of Ulpiana Carlo Viganò, former Nuncio to the United States, blew the whistle on Pope Francis, claiming that the Pope was aware of the misdeeds of disgraced Cardinal McCarrick at least as early as 2013.
A Nuncio is an ecclesiastical diplomat.
“Holy Father, I don’t know if you know Cardinal McCarrick, but if you ask the Congregation for Bishops there is a dossier this thick about him,” he allegedly told Pope Francis at the Vatican in 2013. “He corrupted generations of seminarians and priests and Pope Benedict ordered him to withdraw to a life of prayer and penance.”
“The Pope did not make the slightest comment about those very grave words of mine and did not show any expression of surprise on his face, as if he had already known the matter for some time, and he immediately changed the subject,” Viganò said. “He clearly wanted to find out if I was an ally of McCarrick or not.”
Pope Benedict XVI allegedly imposed sanctions against McCarrick in the final months of his papacy, but that they were essentially swept under the rug when Pope Francis transitioned into his role, which explains why Pope Francis wanted to size up Viganò’s support for McCarrick.
Viganò claims that he alerted the Catholic Church about McCarrick’s abusive nature as early as 2006, after he became aware of an Indictment Memorandum written by priest Gregory Little of the diocese of Charlotte, who was reduced to lay state after he was caught abusing minors. In the memo, Little also outed the Archbishop of Newark and several priests for sexual abuse.
“In writing up a memo on these documents that were entrusted to me, as Delegate for Pontifical Representations, on December 6, 2006, I wrote to my superiors, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone and the Substitute Leonardo Sandri, that the facts attributed to McCarrick by Littleton were of such gravity and vileness as to provoke bewilderment, a sense of disgust, deep sorrow and bitterness in the reader, and that they constituted the crimes of seducing, requesting depraved acts of seminarians and priests, repeatedly and simultaneously with several people, derision of a young seminarian who tried to resist the Archbishop’s seductions in the presence of two other priests, absolution of the accomplices in these depraved acts, sacrilegious celebration of the Eucharist with the same priests after committing such acts,” according to Viganò.
In his memo, he proposed punishment for Cardinal McCarrick.
“I proposed that an exemplary measure be taken against the Cardinal that could have a medicinal function, to prevent future abuses against innocent victims and alleviate the very serious scandal for the faithful, who despite everything continued to love and believe in the Church,” he said.
Still, no action was taken.
Viganò also claims that Cardinal Wuerl, archbishop of Washington, D.C., was “well aware of the continuous abuses committed by Cardinal McCarrick and the sanctions imposed on him by Pope Benedict.” Further, he claimed that Pope Francis only acted on the allegations against McCarrick in an attempt to save protect image of the Catholic Church, after allegations against McCarrick surfaced publicly.
Viganò ended his affidavit by calling for the Pope’s resignation, along with everyone who was complicit in ignoring and covering up McCarrick’s perversion.
“In this extremely dramatic moment for the universal Church, he must acknowledge his mistakes and, in keeping with the proclaimed principle of zero tolerance, Pope Francis must be the first to set a good example for cardinals and bishops who covered up McCarrick’s abuses and resign along with all of them.”