Democrats Follow in Footsteps of Ron DeSantis, Push Measures to Criminalize Free Speech of Conservatives
Last week, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis traveled to a foreign country to sign legislation that makes it a felony crime for anyone to distribute literature containing speech that an individual may finds offensive, harassing or threatening.
This measure is a heinous overreach that attacks the 1st Amendment of the Constitution, setting the stage for conservatives to be thrown in jail for spreading their message, and Democrats are taking notice.
In Michigan, Democrats are following in DeSantis’ footsteps and moving quickly to criminalize free speech as well:
This looks to be part of the next wave of significant bills the Democratic Legislature plans to move. Appears to enable charges in cases of severe harassment when there is no physical contact or vandalism or threat of either — one of those is now required for charges. https://t.co/y7V1AV41O6
— Zach Gorchow (@ZachGorchow) April 27, 2023
Without any physical contact, vandalism or a threat of harm, virtually all speech will be able to be criminalized, as long as some snowflake cries and plays the victim. In an age of Soros-funded DAs, prosecutors and liberal activist judges, this is a recipe for disaster, enabled by the reckless policies of DeSantis.
Big League Politics reported on DeSantis signing HB 269 into law during a surprise visit to Israel last week:
“Florida Governor Ron DeSantis flew to a foreign country on Thursday to sign an anti-hate speech law that makes speech deemed “harassment” or “intimidation” a felony punishable by 5 years in prison.
DeSantis signed HB 269 in Jerusalem, and it is being touted as a law to combat anti-Semitism by its proponents…
The measure makes it an explicit felony hate crime to distribute literature in a door-to-door manner if that literature is arbitrarily deemed to be harassment or intimidation by its recipient.
Relevant language from the law can be seen here:
“784.0493 Harassment or intimidation based on religious or ethnic heritage.—
(1) As used in this section, the terms “credible threat” and “harass” have the same meaning as in s. 784.048(1).
(2) A person may not willfully and maliciously harass or intimidate another person based on the person’s wearing or displaying of any indicia relating to any religious or ethnic heritage.
(3) A person who violates subsection (2) commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(4) A person who violates subsection (2), and in the course of committing the violation makes a credible threat to the person who is the subject of the harassment or intimidation, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(5) A violation of this section is considered a hate crime for purposes of the reporting requirements of s. 877.19.”
Political commentator Scott Greer noted that messages as innocuous as “Make America Great Again” or “It’s Okay to be White” could easily be considered felony hate speech under the provisions within this vaguely-written hate crime law.”
Democrats are licking their chops as DeSantis takes measures against the 1st Amendment. His poor leadership is hurting the Republic.