Republican Senators Cave To Democrats’ Anti 2A Demands
Is the GOP truly the party of the Second Amendment? Gun rights advocates across the nation have expressed extreme anger after 10 Republican Senators joined forces with Democrats to reach a bipartisan deal that vastly expands the scope of federal power over gun control.
Per Breaking 911 News, U. S. Senator Bill Cassidy, M.D. (R-LA) released the following statement proudly touting a bipartisan agreement in the aftermath of a devastating mass shooting at a school in Uvalde, Texas.
“I joined these negotiations to ensure any agreement addressed illegal gun violence while upholding due process and protecting law-abiding Americans’ 2nd Amendment rights,” said Cassidy. “This agreement upholds that commitment.”
Included in those that joined Cassidy in the gun control agreement were U.S. Senators Chris Murphy (D-CT), John Cornyn (R-TX), Thom Tillis (R-NC), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Roy Blunt (R-MO), Cory Booker (D- NJ), Richard Burr (R-NC), Susan Collins (R-ME), Chris Coons (D-DE), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Mark Kelly (D-AZ), Angus King (I-ME), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Rob Portman (R-OH), Mitt Romney (R-UT), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), and Pat Toomey (R-PA), who issued the following joint statement:
“Today, we are announcing a commonsense, bipartisan proposal to protect America’s children, keep our schools safe, and reduce the threat of violence across our country. Families are scared, and it is our duty to come together and get something done that will help restore their sense of safety and security in their communities. Our plan increases needed mental health resources, improves school safety and support for students, and helps ensure dangerous criminals and those who are adjudicated as mentally ill can’t purchase weapons. Most importantly, our plan saves lives while also protecting the constitutional rights of law-abiding Americans. We look forward to earning broad, bipartisan support and passing our commonsense proposal into law.”
The 10 Republicans who teamed up with Democrats for the sweeping gun control measures include Roy Blunt, Richard Burr, John Cornyn, Bill Cassidy, Susan Collins, Lindsey Graham, Rob Portman, Mitt Romney, Pat Toomey, and Thom Tillis.
The 10 Republican Senators:
— Benny Johnson (@bennyjohnson) June 12, 2022
The aforementioned agreement includes a vast swath of measures vastly expanding federal power concerning Second Amendment rights, including a plan to assist in funding ‘red flag’ law programs nationwide. Critics of such types of legislation point out that it strips Americans of any and all due process, allowing a judge or police officer to seize a citizen’s guns at a moment’s notice.
The proposal includes:
Support for State Crisis Intervention Orders
- Provides resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others, consistent with state and federal due process and constitutional protections.
Investment in Children and Family Mental Health Services
- National expansion of community behavioral health center model; major investments to increase access to mental health and suicide prevention programs; and other support services available in the community, including crisis and trauma intervention and recovery.
Protections for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Convicted domestic violence abusers and individuals subject to domestic violence restraining orders are included in NICS, including those who have or have had a continuing relationship of a romantic or intimate nature.
Funding for School-Based Mental Health and Supportive Services
- Invests in programs to expand mental health and supportive services in schools, including: early identification and intervention programs and school based mental health and wrap-around services.
Funding for School Safety Resources
- Invests in programs to help institute safety measures in and around primary and secondary schools, support school violence prevention efforts and provide training to school personnel and students.
Clarification of Definition of Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer
- Cracks down on criminals who illegally evade licensing requirements.
- Invests in programs that increase access to mental and behavioral health services for youth and families in crisis via telehealth.
Under 21 Enhanced Review Process
- For buyers under 21 years of age, requires an investigative period to review juvenile and mental health records, including checks with state databases and local law enforcement.
Penalties for Straw Purchasing
- Cracks down on criminals who illegally straw purchase and traffic guns.
White House Occupant Joe Biden lauded Democrats and complicit Republicans alike for what he described as a step in the right direction. He called for further gun control, noting, “obviously, it does not do everything that I think is needed, but it reflects important steps in the right direction.”
Moves by Republicans to assist in what many view as a crackdown on the Second Amendment have incensed conservatives across the country. Political commentator Jesse Kelly blasted both parties for the agreement, writing, “whether it’s pandemics or shootings or warm weather, both parties always seem to agree that the problem is you having too much freedom.”
Support Big League Politics by making a donation today. You can also donate via PayPal, Venmo or donate crypto. Your support helps us take on the powerful and report the truth that the mainstream media wants to silence.