US Gov Launches Airstrikes On Facility Connected to Iran
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin declared in a statement that the strike launched by two F-15 fighter jets was “a response to a series of attacks against U.S. personnel in Iraq and Syria” by Iranian-backed forces. President Joe Biden “has no higher priority than the safety of US personnel, and he directed today’s action to make clear that the United States will defend itself, its personnel, and its interests,” Austin stated.
This latest volley came hours following the Defense Department’s announcement that there had been at least 41 attacks carried out against American military personnel in Iraq and Syria since October 17. Officials claim that at least 46 of its military units have been injured, several who have suffered traumatic brain injuries.
On November 8, Austin told reporters that “if the attacks against our forces don’t decrease or stop, we will take additional measures. We’re going to do everything we can to protect our troops and we’re absolutely serious about that.”
A senior military official told reporters on November 8 said the target was a warehouse allegedly being run by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. US military authorities had been monitoring this facility for some time.
The official claimed several Iranian personnel were spotted at the facility prior to the attack but their fate remains unknown. One of the officials claimed that there were no civilian casualties.
A senior defense official stressed to reporters that the strike was not directed towards Iranian proxies in Syria but the IRGC itself and the strikes will continue indefinitely.
US officials have stated that they perceive the attacks on US military units and the subsequent American retaliation as separate issues altogether from the Israel-Hamas conflict that broke out after Hamas terrorists launched attacks against southern Israel on October 7.
“Our goal is to make sure that the conflict that’s in Gaza doesn’t expand and become a region-wide conflict,” Austin remarked. “To this point, we don’t think that that’s happened and we’re going to do everything in our power to make sure it doesn’t happen.”
“The United States is fully prepared to take further necessary measures to protect our people and our facilities,” Austin added. “We urge against any escalation.”
Defense Department officials previously announced that the US government was deploying 900 military units to the Middle East as regional tensions have dialed up, which includes Thaad and Patriot air defense operators. Defense officials emphasized that none of the troops, who are already deployed or are in the process of being deployed, are heading towards Israel.
Tensions between the US and Iran have been on the rise since Hamas’ assault on Israel. Earlier this week, Iran’s foreign minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian warned that new military fronts would be opened against the US if it maintains blind support for Israel.
With a crisis at the southern border, one has to wonder why American units are still in the Middle East. If we’re being honest, the US has a Zionist-occupied government that only keeps troops in the Middle East to satisfy the whims of Israel, which has a geopolitical ax to grind with Iran.
It’s high time that the US stopped kowtowing before Israel and began pursuing its actual national interest, which means ditching the Middle East and focusing its military resources on the southern border instead.